Sunday, October 30, 2011

Trials





Today at church our pastor talked about Trials and God's Discpline out of Hebrews 12:4-11. No one likes to be disciplined, but we see discipline as a form of refinement although, sometimes painful and uncomfortable. God allows trials in our lives, and through the trials, if we let him, He'll make us more like Him. Thankfully, trials are only temporary, and usually the outcome is more of God's blessing in our lives.

As we are a couple months away from the end of the year, I have to think that this year could have been called "David and Kelsey's Year of Trials" as both David and I went through some not so fun stuff. However, we have to trust that God truly disciplines those He loves, and through discipline comes a refinement of character. Last Tuesday, I pleaded "no contest" in my excessive speeding court case. After talking with an attorney who advised me not to make the judge more irritated and that really it was a losing battle, I decided to plead no contest and hope for the best. Well the "best" still consists of a hefty fine, 15 days suspended license, Community Service, and a driving class...not what I had in mind, especially when I have a hard time believing I was going that fast (you should see the car I was driving, can it get up to 88 is the question?). Well anyhoo, what's done is done, and I have to think that this is a trial that God has allowed in my life to refine who I am. I have a pretty amazing husband and some awesome friends who are taxing me around for the next 2 weeks. I tell you, for a pretty independent woman to have to suddenly become dependent...it is a stretching experience for me:) Also for someone who felt invincible to the law and often sped (not 88), finally realized that we do need to honor the law and authority God has established and has learned a valuable lesson, thankfully not at the expense of a life or property... Probably what God had in mind...? But how do you explain trials in someone's life who doesn't know Jesus? Is it an opportunity to come to know and rely on Jesus as Lord and Savior?? Is it another way for God to make it clear that we can't do life on our own?
Thoughts?

Talking in the car on the way to the beach to kiteboard, I asked David if he thinks he has seen the blessings from the trial he went through at the beginning of the year. During that trial I saw a pretty stubborn man come to repentance and make some big changes in his life. Never perfect, he is, however, a pretty different man from the man I saw a year ago. David recalled these blessings current in our lives: favor at work, financial provision, and a happier marriage. Maybe even more blessings to come?

I always hope that after a trial, life will continue on as trial-free. But that's not the God we serve. God disciplines those He loves. Discipline is a form of God's love...ouch! So if God loves us, I guess the discipline will keep on coming...

Are you a disciplined child of God?

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment