Sunday, November 28, 2010

Kauai trip and Thanksgiving 2010

I'm looking out across the ocean on the amazing island of Kauai, admiring the serene beauty and outstanding creativity of only our Creator. I can only imagine how the psalmists of the Bible felt as they, in the midst of turmoil in their lives, sat in the beauty of God's creation and let the Holy Spirit minister to their needs. When that happens, it seems only natural, to let His transforming peace consume our tired and burdened hearts. I think it's so important to spend time in what He's made (creation) and be still and know that He is God. In my life it's easy to be so caught up in the busyness, our "to do lists", people's expectations, but a small 4 day vacation of just enjoying what He's made can be such medicine to the soul and a remedy to a tired and weary spirit. Needless to say, Kauai has been wonderful.




Thanksgiving Day we flew in to meet my Grandma, her sister and My great aunt Pat, her daughter Diane, and my uncle Steve and Aunt Wendy. We had a wonderful turkey dinner compliments of Safeway. Friday we spent at the beach laying out and attempting to tan and enjoying the water when the sun got too hot. Saturday some of us went to Lihue and did some shopping:) Today we enjoyed going to church. The pastor is one of David and I's peers from Bethel. He and his wife just had a baby, and it was so neat to catch up with them and some of our other friends too. David's roommate, Greg, and his wife Lindy also live here. I enjoyed getting to know them better, and to see David fellowship with an old friend.
We head back tomorrow. In just a few weeks we'll be in Colorado enjoying Christmas with the family. Ohana is a of big importance in Hawaii, and I believe in keeping with that importance even though our family is on the mainland. I hope that family will always be of high importance in our lives.

According to my husband, after Thanksgiving is the time for the Christmas music, so blast that music loud and clear, and let the Christmas season begin. But despite the busyness, let's sit in His creation, and remember His love for us. The reason why we celebrate Christmas in the first place. And, from Pastor Matt's message this morning, let's also remember the reason why He came too!

No comments:

Post a Comment