Thursday, May 19, 2011

Our doggie...kinda






Her name is Alicia, and she found us. As I was jogging a couple weeks ago, I came across this dog. One of the plumeria farmers said that she was probably driven here and abandoned, that would explain why this dog is skin and bones. At the beginning she would follow me from a distance, but if I made any attempt to come near her she would run away. Probably abuse, she doesn't trust anyone, and therefore no one has been able to help her. I noticed that she was getting skinnier and probably had gone days without water (it's so hot and dry here in Kona). So I began taking a cup of water and a little bit of food and setting it on the ground and walking away. From a distance, I observed her drinking and eating. Slowly I began to get a little closer to her, finally she would approach me on her terms...but then run away. I was just patient, til just a couple of days ago she gladly runs to me, tail wagging, and just absorbs the attention. Now we are working on her and David. When I'm around she is ok with David (as you see in the picture). If I'm not around, she barks at him and then runs away...we are working on this. But for now, I've experienced a true bond with her...and I believe I have made a friend for life. Is she our dog? No...because no one knows where she came from. She could be lost, she could be abandoned, she could just be a wanderer...but she is starving...and for now I will gladly receive a dog's love and try to put some meat on her so she doesn't starve.

The other dogs you see in this picture are dogs on the plumeria farm. They each have their own personality...and it's just great to be around canine love again.


Why did we name her Alicia? Well I had a friend in college I watched come from a very difficult life, find the love and care of Jesus Christ, and each day became stronger and stronger and overcame some very difficult obstacles in her life through Christ's love (although life still brought her hardships). I believe that's the story of this dog too. I believe this dog has a difficult past, but through our love and care she is going to get stronger and stronger and hopefully overcome some trust issues in her life too.

The adventure continues...

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment