Friday, April 23, 2010

10 reasons to come to hawaii

10. Visit beautiful waterfalls and swim in clear crisp mountain pools

9. Step onto black, white, and/or green sand beaches and wiggle your toes in the sand

8. Partake in the Hilo farmers market, it feels like you've stepped into another country. Fresh fruits and veggies, and other things that I can't begin to describe...some very interesting food out there

7. Look at an active volcano, beautiful at sunset

6. See some beautiful underwater territory, multicolor fish and coral.

5. See honus (turtles) everywhere you go, aw the life of a turtle

4. Experience true aloha from many of the peoples. A lot of cultures represented in Hawaii

3. Read a book in the island breezes, and in Nov-March watch for some whales

2. Go through mountain passes, and experience chilling weather (30-40 degrees) near the volcano. When there's snow, one can go snowboarding

1. Visit Kelsey and David who are missing their family and friends but absolutely love the opportunity to live here on the beautiful Big Island that God created!

Kelsey update:
Whew, where do I begin. I'm still working for my same client, although the job is becoming a bit exhausting. I'm putting in about 34 hours of work at this agency, and then many hours of volunteer work for the church. At the end of the day/week, I'm pooped! But David and I believe that this is the season to work, and work hard. Thursday and Friday afternoons I've begun 2 different Bible studies. Right now only 1-2 girls are attending, but I believe if more are to come God will lay it on their hearts to come. If not, I'm enjoying getting to know these girl's hearts and passions.

Fundraising seems to be our lives at the moment. Because David has so much on his plate, and learning to be an administrator as well as Pastor, I decided to take over the fundraising efforts. In our efforts we are trying to raise 10,000 dollars in the month of May. Any donation, group fundraising effort, and individual fundraising effort will be calculated. If our student can raise 10,000 in the month of May, 1000 dollars will be thrown into the pot that will be for a special surprise once they are in Colorado. Also, David has agreed to the fate of his hair (color, style, cut). If they can reach the goal, the student will take the first Sunday in June to give David a total makeover which he will keep up until the trip. For Haley's wedding, we do need David looking somewhat presentable. I'm not sure she'll want a clown showing up in her family wedding pictures. What a memory!

We are moving into a house in July. We are moving out of our apartments at the end of May, housesitting and Colorado for June, and come back and move in July. And get this, we are moving into the old youth pastor's old house. This house apparently has a youth ministry annointing or something. We have this house until December, and after that, who knows?

David update:
David is being stretched in many ways. His gifting and passion is studying and teaching God's Word, but he is realizing that youth ministry requires event planning and administrative skills. He is developing those very quickly at a forced rate.

We are both excited for the vision this summer. Our hope is that is won't be so programatic, but relational and intentional, meeting the students where they are at and going from there.

We are working on putting into place guidelines (rules) that are biblically based and can be a standard keeping student's behavior accountable. Please pray for David as he puts this together.

Well, I wish I could say something humorous. We seem to be burning the midnight oil, and I'm wiped out. Thankfully in July, I should be working with a new client in a school setting, more down my alley. David, is praying for more leaders. He seems to be wearing many different hats as the youth pastor, and we are praying for more people who have a heart for youth ministry to step in and use their gifting and calling to impact the live's of these Hilo students.

More to add later...

Exhausted,
Kelsey (and David)

2 comments:

  1. Oh David, I'll be praying for you all the more. As I was reading this, I just kept nodding my head and thinking "yup, I did that". It's hard trying to keep up the emphasis on studying and teaching the Bible and be an event planner/administrator as well. It's something that I think every new youth pastor has to learn how to balance. You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, you're killing me! As if Hawaii isn't already appealing enough, you post me ten great reasons to come. I miss you guys :)

    ReplyDelete