Sunday, November 22, 2009

a happy thanksgiving from us to you






Aloha,
As we approach this holiday season, it's easy to stop and think about our many blessings. But it's important to take the next step and thank Him who has given us the many blessings. But let's not even stop there, let's take a little deeper and not only thank Him who has blessed us but ask Him how we can be a blessing to others. God uses people to bless people, and I've been on the receiving end many times, but I'm beginning to ask the Lord how I can be a blessing to others. Ya'll, I'll admit that David and I are hardly experts, but it is something we want the Lord to continue to teach us. So as you approach this Holiday season with thanksgiving in your hearts, realize the overflow of your blessing and use it to bless others.

Ok, there's my 2 cents. So let's get on to the adventure of David and Kelsey *drum roll please*

First, David and I have discovered the wonderful, new, technologically advanced form of communication called Skype. Yes, it is a wonderful and refreshing way to talk to people despite distance. So if you too have discovered this great invention, email us and we'll skype (yes, that is a verb just like 'google' is a verb as well as 'facebook'. I can't wait to get the new and improved dictionary and see what exactly their definitions will be)
David and I are doing well here in Hilo. But let me tell you, it rains A LOT here in Hilo. We went through about an entire week of rain. Sometimes it is just a drizzle but most of the time it is a down pour. David and I decided to go out running when it was "drizzling". Half way through our run, you guessed it, down pour. We were absolutely soaked. It took 3 days for our clothes to completely dry. So as we start training for the half marathon...it should be interesting...

Well yesterday we went to a Hoolaulea (which means celebration in Hawaiian) it was a thanksgiving celebration. And my goodness, was there an abundance of food! Along with food we were blessed with worship-ful hula, music, and drama. At the end they had these tables piled with local fruits and vegetables and we were all given a bag to fill up. So these pictures are pics of longons (grape looking things david is holding) bread fruit (very interesting fruit, it's the one that I'm gnawing on) and star fruit (the one pic that I look somewhat normal in). The breadfruit, once it is soft, you scoop out like an avocado and mash it and mix it with coconut milk and brown sugar. It makes for a wonderful dessert. The one thing about the Hoolaulea that I have not mentioned is that we were able to invite our neighbor, Masa, to come and fellowship with us. The problem: he doesn't speak much English. But God is teaching us a lot how to communicate the love of Jesus despite the language barrier. We were able to send him home with 2 boxes of food and a full bag of fruit. We continue to pray that Jesus will reveal Himself to him, and we are hoping to get a Bible which is translated into a micronesian language to him one of these days.
Some of you may be wondering our plans for Thanksgiving. After finding out Art and Donna's kids were not coming home for Thanksgiving, David and I volunteered to be their kids this holiday season and they so graciously accepted our offer :) We are very much looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving with them and mamasita (Donna's mom). I think that Art mentioned in his joking way that Mongoose curry was on the menu (for those who don't know what a mongoose is, it's the Hilo version of a squirrel but carnivorous). We of course very much miss family and friends, especially in the holiday season. We wish we could be in Colorado with you all! I'm so grateful that my folks and Trevor are coming out for Christmas however!!!
Oh, and by the way, I'll be home Feb 15-21 too! I booked my ticket this week!
After Thursday, David and I are going to the Kona side where we are going to take a one night, two day mini-vacation in the sunshine. We are looking forward to some rest and relaxation and spending time just the two of us.
We'll that's all for now folks. I hope these blogs are insightful and fun! We continue to ask for your prayers and we want to pray for you too. Email us or call us or skype us...we would love to hear from you
808-217-7551 or kelsey.poole09@yahoo.com

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment