Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The move

Aloha friends and family
Howz it?(along with the shaka)
Just a little update into the lives of Kawika and Kelsey (Kawika is David's hawaiian name). It's funny because the person who consistently calls David Kawika is Aunty Keahi, and she usually says it during announcements second service. I think people are slowly putting the two and two together.
Well, it is beautiful here in Hawaii. Too beautiful in fact. I've heard that since my mom has been home (Oct 19) there have been 3 blizzards. Ok, so I'm thankful for no blizzards. But wow, it's hot here. I started with my first client on Monday. I'm loving my job as a paraprofessional, and am so blessed to be working with these kids everyday. Honestly, I see it as having the opportunity to pray over these kids lives, while in the classroom, everyday. But I tell you what, it sure gets hot in those classrooms. With no air conditioning and no breeze, whewweee it is warm in there. Time to go buy some more short sleeve shirts.

We are also moving into Hilo. It a week's process. We don't have to be out of our current apartment until the end of the month, but we've been able to start moving into the new apartment. Hopefully Friday will be our official day of totally being in the new apartment. We have begun meeting our neighbors. Masah to the left of us does not speak much English and to the right are some interesting folk. We know we have entered a spiritual battle ground. But to live out our Isaiah 61 calling, we need to be there. We aren't sure how long, but at least for 3 months. But I tell you what, boy do we have an ocean view!
Isaiah 61
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to
-Preach the good news to the poor
-Bind up the brokenhearted
-Proclaim freedom for the captives
-And to release from darkness for the prisoners

Well we are living with the poor, brokenhearted, captives and prisoners. Literally. So we are asking our intercessors out there, those who continue to tell us that you are praying for us,Pray hard. Not just for us, but for the people around us. Whether this turns out to be 3 months or a year, we want to see these Val Hala apartments radically changed. God, I believe, has some major things planned for the city of Hilo come 2010. Watch out Satan! Watch the power of the One True God move in the people of Hilo. And yes, it will only be the beginning. Ripple effect, baby!

What is my dear husband doing now a days, you ask? Well, let me tell you. Besides moving almost our entire apartment, he has been working on a leadership manual. We feel so strongly that the leadership needs to be on the same page, David has written a book. Well, not quite but a bit of a booklet I should say. We continue to be reminded that we are just servants. With just us, nothing can be accomplished, but if God is the One engineering it, promoting it, helping his tools work the way they should (that would be us)...well then it can only be good, great in fact!

We are learning a lot in our marriage. It's great! But God continues to teach us to put our stubborn wills down and our pride and work on serving one another, even when it is tough. We have also been noticing the importance of healthy and constructive criticism along with encouragement and praise. Can't have one without the other. So to all the married couples out there, can you relate...or is it just us? Maybe it is just us.

Praises:
-We are moving into Hilo (with that comes a lot of prayer requests as mentioned above)
-We both have jobs (we realized the other day how blessed we truly are to both be working in a down economy)
-Great jobs!
-We continue to be blessed by all of our church ohana!
-A TrueU Senior/College small group will be starting Sunday. So pumped. Ready to rock some worldviews

Prayer Requests
-We are moving into Hilo
-I want to work myself out of a job. Before you jump to any conclusions, let me explain. Working with students with mental and physical disabilities I have come to the conclusion that it's more than just a medical diagnosis. Many of these students are in captivity. I want to have the highest turn over rate of clients. Where they'll put me with one client and in 1-2 months they have to pull me out, because the client is functioning just fine and even looking more "normal" as well. After 5-6 of these quick "turnovers", they then will notice a consistent pattern. What a great time to give God all the glory and preach the good news of Jesus Christ and what can happen through the power of His redemptive blood for humanity. He seeks our wholeness (physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional).



No comments:

Post a Comment