Thursday, September 29, 2011

A legal battle

First and foremost, could you all be praying for David's Aunt Tracy. They have found a hole in her lungs and she has been in the ICU for a couple days.

Well, I've been holding off writing this for a couple months because I'd thought I would have a whole story to tell you with good news at the end. Instead, I'm still in the midst of it and humbly needing your prayers.
Where do I begin?
Back in July I got pulled over for speeding. When the cop asked me if I was speeding, I admitted that I was.( I was going no more than 15 over...which yikes...is a lot). He then proceeded to tell me that he clocked me going over 33 mph over the speed limit (putting me at 88 in a 55mph zone). The accusation is pretty crazy as the car I was driving would literally be shaking at 88, there was heavy traffic and I was following another vehicle (who must have been going 88 too and never touched his brakes when he passed the cop) However, this in hawaii, is not just a speeding incident...this is a BIG DEAL, in which I now have gone to court twice. It's up there with a DUI... What's at risk? Besides a heavy fine, a 30 day suspended license, and either 36 hours of community or even jail time, (can you imagine me going to jail? Ok, well, let's not even go there for some of you:) it also goes on my record as a petty misdemeanor. Needless to say, this has been stressing me out. I countered a plea bargain today with the state prosecutor, which failed, so I am going to trial on October 25 at 2:30pm. I have given away my right to an attorney (a financial move, hopefully not a dumb one) because I could not qualify for a Public Defendent (and actually probably don't want one after watching him at work in the court room) and other Attorneys are super costly. If I lose the case I don't want the cost of an attorney plus all the other fines and fees attached. So I'm on my own, for now but seeking more legal counsel. In reality its the cop's word against my word with all the other legal mumbo jumbo in between. I've done my research in what the state prosecutor needs to prove so to find me guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
So to find the "good" in "God works out everything for the good of those who love the Lord and are called according to his purpose" I'm still not sure. I hope to have great news that the case was dismissed after my trial on Oct 25, but I'm also ready for the worst of news (do you think I look good in orange?).
So I am asking my fellow brother and sisters to join me in prayer. I won't have a jury, I just have to convince a really tough judge (who has a reputation of being very egotistical). I feel like the odds are against me, but I have to think I have a God that is for me.

To be continued...
I could use any advice and/or encouragement kelsey.poole09@yahoo.com

Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment