Saturday, January 15, 2011

Apart from Him, there's nothing



Pictures: David and our niece Bella. Snow on Mauna Kea, and us (no that's not our puppy, it's Nellie read blog below).
Our first week back in Hawaii has been busy as usual. I thought after our trip back to Colorado I needed a vacation, but it hasn't happened yet.

We have hit the ground running. David has much to do in the area of of youth ministry. Still praying for wisdom and guidance in this area. Despite being gone for two weeks, we came back to some eager kids waiting to get some of the small groups and fellowship times going again. Thursday we had about 18 (plus 4 more who will be joining next week) for our "Build" part of the youth group. During this time the students break into Link groups (accountability) where they ask each other deep questions and then go into a "classroom setting" to study either Prayer, Bible, Worldview, or Life (Eph 6) taught by 4 different leaders.
Last night we had our Open House. This is the "Reach" aspect of the youth ministry. We encourage kids to invite their friends in hopes to create a sense of belonging. We had 3 new students come, invited by their friends, along with about 20 of our "old" kids. It was a packed house. With games, food, and fellowship we kept the neighborhood up until almost 10:00 pm. They just didn't want to go home.

I have been getting phone calls left and right asking me to sub. I am almost booked for sub jobs for the month of January, and starting to get calls for February. Praise God! I was able to sub 3 days this week, and took Monday to go enjoy a little kiteboarding. The wind was going about 25mph, and therefore I couldn't fly, but I was able to watch others who had smaller kites fly. Almost 18 kiters out in the water enjoying the strong wind...*sigh* I'm hoping that will be me one day.

Well it's a 3 day weekend for some, with MLK Day on Monday, what are you doing? In the midst of busyness, I pray you find time to quiet your life, quiet your heart and spend some solid time with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

As David and I were doing devotions we were reading out of Proverbs 15 where is says:
"With love and faithfulness, sin is atoned for. And with the fear of the Lord man avoids evil". What does it mean to you to fear the Lord? Food for thought.

Aloha from the Big Island,
Kelsey

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kesley! As I sit here in 20 degree weather in NC, it's cool to hear of you kiteboarding in the middle of winter!

    I'm praying for you guys today and your awesome ministry. You guys took such a huge step of faith to move so far away from what you know and it's neat to see the Lord bless your ministry. Love, Becky Hatfield

    ReplyDelete