Tuesday, August 24, 2010

kiteboarding pics, blog below







Aloha once again from the Big Island of Hawaii. I'll preface this blog by first stating that David and I do work believe it or not, however, often I feel that you may get this idea that we play all day:) Now that that has been said, I get to describe my new play toys...a kite and a board.
Once a week for about 5 weeks I've been going to the other side of the island and learning to kiteboard. This task requires learning to fly kites anywhere from 6 meters to 13 meters depending on the wind. These pictures show me flying my own 11 meter kite...pretty cool, huh? Flying these kites can be difficult, and after suffering some pretty crazy but purposeful and graceful face-plants (haha, just kidding, they were pretty rough), crashing my instructors kite on the beach, and multiple water crashes, I now can say I am finally getting it and can keep my kite in the air. The next step is to learn to put your board on your feet while flying this kite 40 feet up in the air. One would assume that putting a board on your feel while flying a kite would be a simple task, but imagine with me splashing, twisting, flailing of arms, grunts of frustration, and sighs of occasional defeat and you have me doing such a task. However, I'm starting to get it. Now I'm learning to put the two together...flying the kite and riding the board. It is such a thrill and adrenaline rush, that I will dream about kiteboarding for days. It's been such a neat hobby to learn, and I feel that God has blessed me by providing a pretty neat kiteboarding community and a very supportive husband.
David is learning to launch and land the kites, and when he's not doing that he is improving in his own hobby of spearfishing and diving. David is improving, and now catches at least one fish each time he goes. I'm really impressed that he is learning all the Hawaiian names of the fish and can pinpoint them in the water. We had a friend from college come visit this past weekend, Laura Miller. David took her out snorkeling and talked her through all the different type of creatures one can see when looking through a mask. We are trying to save some money to buy him a speargun so he can advance his diving.

David is also looking at the opportunity to go to Thailand this October. I hope we'll know for sure by this Sunday, but if you can keep that in your prayers (if God is truly calling him there, finances, opportunities to share Jesus, and safety). I truly hope it works out for him to go!

Thank you all for your prayers about work. I worked 4/5 days this week, and it's been a huge blessing. I'm really enjoying the challenge of working with different clients and meeting new people. Each day brings something different, and I'm finding that has been really good for me.

Starting next week our lives will be getting a bit busier. We'll be starting our weekly student group on Thursday nights, Mana Akua. And we have a retreat over Labor Day, which I'm a bit nervous about...but I know God will work out the details!

Something God is working in me is the passage in Exodus 14:14 where God tells Moses as the Egyptians were coming upon them just as they had been free to leave the land of Egypt, "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still". May that be an encouragement to you this week, as it has been to me.

You all have been silent lately. Thanks Tim Arnold for sending us an email:)...we so appreciate hearing from you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment